Potentially toxic algae confirmed in St. Lucie River; residents urged to avoid contact

When you’re told by the weather services to stop swimming and boating – don’t you think that would raise some flags for awareness??  A picture is worth a thousand words.

Dick Miller took this photo of algae July 30 in Rio.

MARTIN COUNTY — The bad news in the St. Lucie Estuary just got worse.

Tests by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission lab detected concentrations of Microcystis aeruginosa, a type of cyanobacteria that can produce toxins in the blue-green algae blooms that began covering the estuary this week.

Because of the test results, the Florida Department of Health in Martin County is urging residents to avoid contact with algae in the entire estuary, from the St. Lucie Canal to the St. Lucie Inlet.

Kevin Baxter, a spokesman at the lab, said Microcystis aeruginosa was found in all seven samples collected by the health department.

Baxter said the tests do not confirm the presence of toxins, which would require further analysis.

Dee Ann Miller, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, said algae samples taken from the estuary Tuesday are being sent to the department’s lab in Tallahassee to determine if toxins are present.

“We should have results within a week or so,” Miller said.

The toxins in Microcystis aeruginosa can be harmful to people and pets. Exposure to water containing toxins may cause nausea and vomiting if ingested and rash or hay fever symptoms if touched or inhaled.

Mark Perry, executive director of the Florida Oceanographic Society in Stuart, compared the current blooms to the catastrophic explosion of blue-green algae that blanketed area waters in 2005.

“It sure looks like the Microcystis aeruginosa we had back in 2005,” Perry said. “It’s got that same radiator-fluid color.”

Perry said the blooms probably aren’t going anywhere for a while, and they’re likely to cause some serious problems while they’re here and even after they’re gone.

“This bloom could last for several months,” Perry said, “and it could be as bad as we’ve ever seen it.”

The algae bloom in 2005 appeared during the summer and lasted until November, which Perry said might also be duplicated this year.

“With the influx of fresh water from local runoff and Lake Okeechobee dropping salinity levels, the nutrients all that water is bringing and the sunlight from long summer days, we’ve got the perfect combination of conditions for algae blooms,” Perry said.

The algae blooms affect life in the estuary in several ways.

“First, seagrass is being shaded and can’t grow,” he said. “Toxins in the algae can kill lots of little animals like shrimp and crabs. And animals that hunt for food in water that should be clear are being messed up because they can’t see their prey through the algae.”

Even when the algae dies, Perry said, it’s a killer: The dying plant cells fall to the bottom and are eaten by bacteria that use up all the oxygen in the water.

“When the oxygen in the water goes below 5 milligrams per liter,” Perry said, “that’s when the fish kills start.”

Perry called it “the devastation of an ecosystem that, besides being a thing of beauty, is the basis of our economy. To see it like this just makes you sick. In fact, it could literally make you sick.”

If you spot blue-green algae, contact the Department of Environmental Protection at 772-467-5572.

To report fish kills or abnormal fish behavior call:

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, 1-800-636-0511

For more information, visit the Martin County Health Department’s website.


Here’s what you need to know about blue-green algae, also called cyanobacteria, that has been reported in the St. Lucie Estuary and the Indian River Lagoon:

Some species produce toxins that can make humans and animals sick, causing stomach and intestinal illness, respiratory distress, allergic reactions, skin irritations, liver damage and neurotoxic reactions.

Swallowing even small amounts of toxin can result in flu-like symptoms including nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In large amounts, toxins can damage the liver, kidneys and the nervous system.

Swimming or wading in a bloom can result in skin irritation, hives, blisters and rashes.

Inhaling toxins can result in hay fever-like symptoms such as itchy eyes, sore throat and congestion.

Because of their size, children and pets are at greater risk for poisoning.

If you or your pet is exposed to toxins, rinse immediately and thoroughly with fresh water and soap.

To report illness from exposure, call the Florida Poison Information Center at 800-222-1222.

Source: Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s